Walters Xylitol story

Have you heard of Xylitol?
Walter the pug had a sneaky snack on gum containing Xylitol, a sugar replacement found in many human foods, drinks, supplements and even toothpastes! Xylitol is highly dangerous for doggies - it can cause a rapid and dramatic drop in blood sugar levels, which can be deadly.
Fortunately for Walter, his owner didn't waste any time rushing him in to us. He stayed with us overnight and received a carefully managed glucose drip to correct his low blood sugar. He was able to go home the next day once his blood sugar was stabilised.
Walter hopes his story can help other doggies stay safe from Xylitol; but if you're ever concerned your dog may have ingested Xylitol, make sure you bring them in to us immediately.

Share this post